CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Shrimp & Tofu Pad Thai


Continuing my Asian theme, which I am getting into more and more lately, I was craving my favorite dish at Pei Wei today, Tofu & Shrimp Pad Thai, so I decided to attempt it myself! It turned out really really good! It was more flavorful than Pei Wei's version for sure and had the same kick. I am proud of it. :)

REVIEW: Once I had collected all the right ingredients, I think the recipe was pretty easy. By far the hardest ingredient to find was the talamarind sauce. My curiosity dictated that I had to research it on Wikipedia; apparently it's a tree and the fruit makes the sauce, in case you were wondering. Getting the proportions right was tricky, I think I had way too much noodles in proportion to the other ingredients but I'm a carb-o-phobe, and I would use more tofu next time, but overall it turned out awesome...even my (slightly inebriated) neighbor came over to taste and agreed with me! To quote him, "Youss rocked thish, arlishhhhaaa." :-D

RECIPE:
4 oz vermicelli, Japanese "rice sticks" noodles
10 oz firm tofu, cut into bite-sized slices
8 oz frozen shrimp
2 shallots (I used leftover pearl onions), chopped
1/2 cup scallions, sliced small
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped
2 cups bean sprouts
1 egg
2 tsp grated ginger

Sauce:
1 cup tamarind sauce
1 cup fish sauce
1/3 cup sugar
chili sauce to taste

Soak the noodles in a bowl of warm water. Make sauce by combining tamarind sauce, fish sauce and sugar over medium heat. Add chili sauce to taste (I used about 4 tsp but as mentioned previously, I am a wimp) and simmer until fully mixed, then turn off and let sauce rest.

Heat olive oil in skillet or wok. Sautee tofu, garlic, and onion until onions are translucent and tofu is crispy brown at the edges. Add noodles to skillet and pour enough sauce to coat skillet contents. Cook until noodles are soft, then push to side and add egg to skillet to cook until hard. Chop cooked egg and mix into rest of ingredients. Add bean sprouts, cilantro, scallions, shrimp, peanuts, and ginger to mixture. Add more sauce if necessary. Simmer for a few minutes until all are well coated by the sauce. Serve in bowl with fresh lime squeezed on top.

No comments: