CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Simple Holiday Meal


Even though I was out of town for Christmas Day, I still wanted to make a holiday meal for the fun of it. The meal ended up being simple, healthy, and not over the top which is exactly what I needed after all those Christmas cookies fell into my mouth over the weekend. I did a bunch of searching online and came up with three dishes: roast turkey with gravy, garlic mashed potatoes, and roasted brussel sprouts. Each one was delicious, and I followed each recipe exactly, so I'll just provide a link to where I got them.

For the roast turkey, I used Martha Stewart's butter/white wine/ cheesecloth method.
http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/how-to-roast-a-turkey
Since this was only the 2nd time I've attempted a whole turkey, I loved the step-by-step instructions complete with pictures. Turkey for Dummies! :) I didn't feel like putting in the work to brine the turkey, and it turned out that I didn't need to, the turkey was super moist and flavorful without it. It looked pretty too. I also used her gravy recipe made from giblet stock, absolutely fantastic. No stuffing though, it's not my thing!

The garlic mashed potatoes were from Steamy Kitchen's blog...so easy and delish.
http://steamykitchen.com/12025-roasted-garlic-mashed-potatoes.html


By far the most interesting dish on the table was the roasted brussel sprouts with a pistachio-cranberry pesto, also from Steamy Kitchen.

http://steamykitchen.com/9035-roasted-brussels-sprouts-cranberry-pistachio-pesto.html

I prepped everything while the turkey was cooking, then when the turkey was done and out of the oven, I stuck 'em in to roast while the turkey rested. Great timing. I hadn't had brussel sprouts since my mother made them in '88 and my husband has never had them, so it was a gamble (and I think I won!). These had a yummy sweet/salty contrast from the pesto, and the texture of the sprouts was crisp on the outside, tender on the inside. Just perfect.

I hope you try some of these and like them as much as I did!

No comments: