CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Coconut Curry Mussels with Tofu

I can now say that I've cooked mussels! They are always so delicious when I've gotten them at restaurants, served in a flavorful broth that complements their meatiness. I can't help but to soak up the last drops with thick bread. Once I saw this recipe for mussels cooked in a thai-flavored sauce, I simply had to try it regardless of my intimidation. I had two recipes to cook from, one was Cooking Light and one was Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine. I ended up with my own concoction that was absolutely delicious. I have to warn that the measurements for some of the broth ingredients are not exact since they were added by taste. I added in sauteed tofu as an extra serving of lean protein and to add texture. Tofu is great in soupy dishes because it soaks up the flavor of whatever liquid it is simmered in. The mussels were served hot over sweet jasmine rice and with crusty homemade bread and a side salad.

REVIEW: Time to complete this dish was about 45 minutes. Cutting out the tofu step would probably shorten it by 15 minutes. Cooking time was very fast! It is definitely a weeknight meal possibility. For the broth, I started with the base of shallot, garlic, ginger, green curry paste and coconut milk, but then added the following to taste: fish sauce (I like the salty flavor), chicken stock (thinned out the coconut milk a bit), and white wine (why not?). A tip about mussels: My chef friend, Erica, warned me not to eat the mussels that do not open all the way. I tried a couple to see what would happen (I know, terrible experiment) and I didn't get sick but the ones that were just cracked open did not have the right flavor. So it's probably a good rule to follow! I purchased a 2lb bag and that was plenty for two even subtracting the ones we had to discard.

RECIPE:
1 tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large shallot, sliced into rings
1.5inch piece of ginger, minced
1 can light coconut milk
1 pkg extra firm tofu, cubed
2-3 tbsp curry paste (can be green or red)
3 lbs mussels, rinsed & scrubbed
1/2 lime, juiced (about 2 tbsp)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
extra-virgin olive oil
Added to taste:
fish sauce
chicken stock
dry white wine

Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high. Add tofu cubes and cook until tofu is browned on all sides. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large dutch oven or pot, melt butter over medium-high. Add shallot, garlic, and ginger and cook 3 minutes. Whisk in coconut milk and curry paste, then add fish sauce, chicken stock, and white wine to taste. Once the desired flavor is achieved, turn up heat to high and bring sauce to a simmer.
Add mussels and stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat to medium-high. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring once. Discard unopened mussels. Remove pot from heat and stir in lime juice and sprinkle cilantro on top. Serve over jasmine rice with a side of crusty bread. Makes 4 servings.

1 comment:

barb said...

Did you use Dad's crusty bread as a side to this meal?