CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 7, 2007

My 1st Blog Post! (and why Beyond PB&J was created)

Ok, so it’s not like I am a TERRIBLE cook, but my meals consist of whatever I can make the fastest with the ingredients I happen to have in the fridge at the time. Since half of my fridge is occupied by alcohol, this leaves me a limited space in which to store my usual supply of fresh vegetables, fruit, egg beaters, plain yogurt, milk, hummus, cheese, deli meat, condiments, and the staple that holds it all together: Mission low-carb whole wheat fajita-size wraps. The things I make at home and pack for lunch are extremely healthy. I save my calorie splurges for when I’m out with friends enjoying Mexican food and margaritas – yum!

The problem with concocting healthy meals in little time is that they get repetitive, almost to the point where each night I want to throw my low-fat, low-carb turkey wrap out the window and drive to the nearest Sonic for a burger and tater tots pronto!

My theory is there MUST be a way to eat healthy and keep my meals interesting too! Now that my crazy schedule has calmed down a little bit, I’ve decided to dedicate one night a week to cooking a dish that is out of my comfort zone of broiled chicken and steamed veggies (boring!). Each week, I will search for a recipe that I have never tried before and tackle it! I don’t want to limit myself with too many rules, but I will try to keep my choices diverse, challenging, and nutritious.

Friends are welcome to come over on these nights; they have the choice to help, supervise (i.e. sit on my couch and drink wine), or just enjoy. Food is always better when you have friends to share it with!

Wish me luck in my culinary attempts!!

No comments: