CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Mango Salsa Chicken


This is my friend Kim's recipe. I've made it several times before and I love it...it's easy, healthy, and it always turns out delicious!
REVIEW: Mango is just an awesome fruit, and it's fun to use something that I don't eat all the time. I don't know what exactly causes the chicken to be so tender, if it's the pounding or simmering it it in the sauce. I hate dry, chewy chicken but this was perfect. Using medium salsa gave it a little kick, you can try hot salsa if you can handle more than me, which is likely. :)Simmering the salsa with the mango and veggies takes some of the hotness out of it. I would recommend for dinner parties too b/c you can leave it simmering for a while on the stove smelling delicious while you serve a salad or appetizer.
RECIPE:
1lb chicken breasts
1-2 tomatoes, diced
1 mango, diced
1 orange
red or yellow bell pepper (I used 1/2 of each for color), diced
1cup medium salsa
garlic salt
cumin
salt
pepper
olive oil
Pound chicken breasts to 1/4 inch thickness. Rub in garlic salt, pepper, and cumin. Heat olive oil in a skillet and cook chicken on medium-high heat to brown on each side. Squeeze half of orange on chicken while cooking. Remove chicken breasts, throw in diced peppers, tomatos, and mango. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper and other half of orange juice. Saute for 5 minutes, then put chicken back in. Add salsa to skillet and cover chicken in the mixture. Lower heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. (per serving: 423 cals, 11g fat, 50g protein, 32 carbs)

No comments: