CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 15, 2008

Nothin' Like Some Meat & Potatoes...


Sometimes you just have a craving for a meat and potatoes dinner. With Hurricane Ike looming upon us this past Saturday night, I decided to cook a meal that "sticks to your ribs"....you know, in case we got flattened by 85 mph winds and flooded by 8ft waves (none of which happened, although the weather people made sure you thought it would!).

This was my first attempt at cooking steak. I don't eat it much, so when I do I'll simply go to the numerous steakhouses on hand and satisfy my craving. Not knowing what I was picking out at the store didn't help. Luckily for me, Target had a sign posted that told me which cut was best for what. It was like "Steak for Dummies"! I ended up choosing a top sirloin 8oz steak to share.


REVIEW:
The best part of the meal was the mushroom-onion sauce that was drizzled over the top. With rich flavors of balsamic vinegar, garlic, and red wine, it complemented the meat soooo well. A side of baked sweet potato and sauteed broccoli completed the meal and (maybe) made up for the not-so-healthy side effects of beef.

RECIPE:8 oz top sirloin steak
garlic salt
pepper

Mushroom Glaze: (also from Cooking Light mag, slightly modified)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced (any kind works)
1 tsp thyme
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp red wine (basically just splashed it in the pan until it tasted good)
salt & pepper to taste

Heat oven to 350F. Sprinkle steaks with garlic salt and pepper on both sides. I also added meat tenderizer just in case my handy Target sign steered me wrong. Cover baking pan with aluminum foil (to catch the drippings), put rack on top of foil, and set steak on rack. Bake for 15mins, check on how it's cooking, then 10-15mins more until it reaches desired doneness. I really don't like overdone steak so I think checking it in the middle helps. While steak is cooking, heat 1 tsp EVOO in skillet on med-high heat. Sautee garlic 30 sec, then add mushrooms, thyme, salt & pepper. Saute until mushrooms are tender. Stir in balsamic vinegar, red wine and simmer until liquid is almost completely reduced. Serve over steaks with side dishes. Makes 2 servings. (per serving: 326cals, 11g fat, 23g carbs, 35g protein)

No comments: