CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 15, 2008

Spicy Thai Shrimp



Cooking Light magazine had a special section on "Dinners for Two" this past month. (Side note: When I was single, I probably would have called this discrimination and pouted for a few days before trying one of the recipes. Funny how attitudes change... :) My boyfriend was the lucky 2nd for my dinner experiments two nights in a row!

One recipe in the magazine that jumped out at me was a simple sauteed shrimp dish with some thai flavor. Yes, another Asian-themed meal! I'm still having fun trying out all the different ingredients and flavors . The recipes are neverending!

REVIEW:
Super easy and not very much prep time. Go easy on the red curry paste as a little goes a long way. The coconut milk balanced out the hotness and made the sauce so creamy. I served over my favorite sushi rice and with a side of broccoli. Bok choy or snap peas might have been a more appropriate side dish, but whatever works! Not sure what two people can eat this much food, because after he and I were stuffed I still had a sizable lunch to bring today. Reheated it tasted delicious.


RECIPE:
1 teaspoon canola oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon red curry paste
1 teaspoon sugar (I used one packet Splenda)
16 ounces large raw shrimp (frozen or fresh)
1/3 cup light coconut milk
2 teaspoons fish sauce
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (dried works fine too)

If you are using frozen shrimp, defrost in a bowl of icewater for 10 mins, then drain off all excess water and ice. Heat canola oil in large skillet on med-high heat. Add onion and curry paste, mix and sautee together for 4-5 mins. Add shrimp and sautee 3-4 mins (cook until the tails touch the body, then you know they're done). Pour in coconut milk and fish sauce, add sugar, basil and green onion. Mix until hot, only a minute or so, you don't want the shrimp to get rubbery! Makes 2 servings plus a lunch. (per serving: 255cals, 8g fat, 36g protein, 10g carbs...with rice add 386 cals per cup)

No comments: