CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Grilled Portobello Pita


On Day 1 of my Cleanse Diet, I made portobello pitas for dinner. At my local grocery store, I could not find any buns or bread without "wheat gluten" listed in the ingredients. I found whole-wheat pita bread that did not have it listed, but I think wheat flour contains gluten so perhaps I disobeyed that rule already. I don't get what I'm supposed to eat in the breads category! The only info I could find online were recipes on how to bake your own gluten-free bread, and sure, like THAT'S going to happen. So anyway, back to the recipe. It turned out very yummy!

Have I mentioned how much I love the grill that my coworker donated to me?? Good karma should start for him any day now. I marinated those meaty portobello mushroom caps and grilled 'em up perfectly, along with bell peppers and onions. C. had his with a toasted whole wheat deli flat (gluten in these) while I sliced up my mushroom and stuffed it in a pita.

Marinade:
balsamic vinegar
extra virgin olive oil (go easy on this! try limiting to 2 tbsp)
dried basil
dried oregano
garlic powder
cayenne pepper
salt
pepper

Toppings:
1 bell pepper, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
guacamole

Remove stems from mushroom caps and rinse. Place caps in a shallow dish and pour marinade over them. Let sit for 15 minutes. Heat grill to med-high. Grill peppers and onions for about 10 minutes. Grill mushroom caps 5-8 mins on each side, occasionally brushing them with the marinade. Slice mushroom cap and place into pita. Top with peppers, onions, a dollop of guac and serve with a side of couscous. (per serving: 335cals, 16g fat, 44g carbs, 9g protein)

No comments: