CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Paleo Banana Pancakes


Two weeks of gluten- and dairy-free done! I officially started on March 18. I am proud. It's been tough but the results have been good so far. The main thing I noticed right away was that extra layer around my middle has melted away. Bye bye, love handles! I haven't noticed a big increase in energy during the day, but I'm hoping that will change by the end of the 30 day trial.

Here is another breakfast alternative to eggs, from Everyday Paleo. These really are delicious! So much so, that I crave them all the time and stock up on extra bananas so that I have an excuse to use them up! I had low expectations for pancakes made with almond flour, but I was pleasantly surprised. The texture isn't quite the same, but the flavor is excellent, and two of these are hearty enough to last all morning, unlike regular pancakes. I didn't even miss a topping like syrup.  I like to add blueberries, but I think apple, pineapple or strawberries would be tasty, too.

RECIPE:
2 ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
2 cups almond flour
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
pinch ground nutmeg
1 cup fruit, chopped if necessary

Using a whisk or electric mixer, mix bananas, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl. In another bowl, mix almond flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg with a spoon. Mix contents of both bowls together until blended well. Gently add fruit. Heat skillet or griddle to medium and melt some coconut oil on the surface. Make sure griddle is hot before adding a scoop of batter. Cook 5 minutes or when spatula slides easily underneath pancake. You won't see the usual pancake bubbles that tell you it's ready to flip, so watch closely to get the cooking time right. Flip and cook on the other side until batter is set and cooked through.

No comments: